It is really hard to believe that summer break (if you even had one) is over already. I met with my UNIV 101 freshman only this morning and they seem almost breathless in their anticipation of their new lives at the University of South Carolina. Their real adult lives symbolically start now and I wish them love and light in all of their endeavors. In addition, I wish for them the time to think.
Scientists are beginning to tell us that, indeed, time is going by faster now. The world is spinning faster and there are so many more things to accomplish in our finite time-framed, hectic lives. I am doubtless the only person who is feeling a pull in many directions. But what is this telling our younger generations (those Digital Natives) like those freshman that I met this morning? Are we doing more without taking the time to think? Are we equating productivity with speed? I leave you with this article call "Taking Back Time" by Margaret Wheatley. Let's help our students take the time to think- about themselves, their lives, their academics, humanity, and their relationship with the "greater good".
http://mindful.org/at-work/leadership/taking-back-the-time
No comments:
Post a Comment