Having gone through the mass marketing/consumer frenzy that was the 2010 Holiday season, I was wondering about the rise of ebooks, Kindles, NookBooks, and the like. From the media coverage and commercials, it would seem that they were in the hands of everyone in the U.S. However, not many people that I know have one. I could be in a vacuum though. How many of you have an ebook? How often do you use it? Has it encouraged you to read even more?
My main thought about this digital reading proliferation is that anything that gets people to read more is a good thing. But are people really reading more now? What are they reading? Oprah Winfrey's book club has certainly spurred the US reading circles but her last entry, Charles Dickens' classics Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities wasn't a success. http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2010/1220/Oprah-s-book-club-picks-falling-short It seem that the "Oprah Effect" hasn't really worked with the classics.
I would love to hear your opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment