Thursday, September 2, 2010

Welcome to the USC Online Teaching and Instructional Design Blog!

Welcome back to USC and the USC Online Teaching and Instructional Design blog!
I hope that this blog will inform you of interesting ideas, helpful hints, resources, tools, or news about online teaching and using technologies in and out of the classroom. I will be passing on information that can assist you in your endeavors or just giving you food for thought. You can also follow me and the USC Online Teaching and New Technologies Group on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Columbia-SC/Univ-of-South-Carolina-Online-Teaching-and-New-Technologies-Group/106056819448837

The fall 2010 semester has started and, by now, we are, hopefully getting into the rhythm of classroom or the ebb and flow of our online classes. I am showing my age when I say that my freshman students seem to be looking younger every year.  USC faculty have been hard at work thoughout the summer in preparation for their classes and I was happy to assist wherever possible. Consultations about designing effective online courses as well as using technologies such as Blackboard, Adobe Connect, and social media (i.e. Facebook) in the best fashion, filled my summer.

One of the highlights of the summer was my Effective Online Instruction course for USC faculty, staff and graduate student system-wide. This 8 week online course is offered 1-2x a year to USC faculty, staff and graduate students in order to prepare them for the world of online instruction. We had 38 enrolled in the course this summer. I am truly happy to say that the students enjoyed the learning process and the camaraderie between their peers. At the completion of the course, participants are given a certification of completion which, I hope, helps with their T & P. At the very least, I hope that the participants get encouragement in their teaching and have fun learning!


Teaching and Technology Services here at UTS hosted its annual August BEST (Blackboard and Educational Software Technologies) Institute on August 16-18, 2010. This culminating summer event focused on technology, tools, pedagogy, and online teaching. It was wonderful getting together in a collegial fashion and talking about topics as diverse as using Google Apps, using Facebook, Skype, and Twitter to teaching to the Millennial (Net Generation). Many thanks to those who attended the sessions and special thanks go out to those who attended my lively, open, frank discussions about Facebook, Twitter, Web 2.0 Technologies (Social Media), and the Millennials. Again it was a great success. We traditionally hold this free, open event twice a year in January and August.   Look for our calendar of events at http://www.uts.sc.edu/events/

So, "Here's a health, Carolina" (from USC's alma mater- "We Hail Thee Carolina") and have a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment